Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Why now?

I consider myself a natural writer. Whether it be essays, a poem, a love letter or an opinion piece, it was always very easy for me to write about a variety of subjects and matters. And not to toot my own horn (really), but I wasn't just an ok writer, but a great writer with strong technical skills and content and flair to match. But in the last few years, I've found that I've struggled with the process. I had a variety of reasons (ahem...excuses) for the lack of my once favored hobby including:

1) Not having enough time to make time to write
2) Not having the right "space" to write
3) Not feeling the timing was right to manifest a masterpiece
4) Not being able to focus on writing because my Gemini tendencies had me wrapped up in a lot of other things I was interested in
and...
4) Fear in all its forms

Looking at this list, I can say that my reasons are fairly legitimate. For years, I've either studied and worked full-time, volunteered for various causes, was a super social butterfly, had an active night-life, and enjoyed the freshness in discovery. Everyday was a new day and I was excited to experience every second of it. Also, because I can be a perfectionist (when I want to be), I would not...could not...settle for mediocracy when it came to writing.

But my life has dramatically changed in the last four months. In November, I stopped working my traditional corporate 9 to 5, in exchange for the more flexible, ever evolving life of the artistic entrepreneur. It's been a challenge, but rewarding in so many aspects to say the least. One thing that I definitely have more of is time. This doesn't mean I haven't been busy. I have my hand in various projects and still working around the clock most nights. But it's time spent doing things I want and chose to do.

So going back to the title. Why now? Why not? 2010 has brought with it a bounty of experiences already. I feel like I'm progressing towards my life path. I'll be traveling in the summer to Europe with my real great friends and fellow artists. Love is abundant in my life. And because my financial situation has greatly changed, I've noticed I've been more inclined to find past times that don't require a lot of cash. These reasons have catalyzed courage and a free flow of creativity I need to take full advantage of. And what a better way to document these experience than simply taking a few moments to sit back, write and enjoy the fruits of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment